Leading high-performance research teams
A leading German research institute with 22,000 employees – 50 percent of whom work abroad – was looking to establish a sophisticated leadership forum for top researchers in managerial roles.
- The idea was to tackle current leadership issues in personalised, hands-on workshops.
- The top researchers would then be able to develop their leadership skills as required.
The customer’s goals
- To work successfully with an international, intellectually discerning target group of top scientists
- To tailor the intervention to leadership in the world of science including postdocs, doctoral students, etc.
- To develop a modular structure for natural science, humanities, engineering, IT, social sciences, mathematics, etc. including individual case studies
- Developed a training concept entitled “Building and leading high-performance research teams”
- Participant-focused execution of the training intervention, including examining leadership topics in light of the participants’ own examples and case studies
- Measures to ensure learning transferred into their everyday research work
- Participants showed commitment to and great satisfaction with the training intervention
- Confirmation that the material was suitable for applying in everyday research work
- Knowledge and practice transfer between research institutes
- Best practice sharing in recruitment process and performance management
- Growing demand for this leadership training within the organisation
Many thanks to our customer for providing us with such inspiring insights into cutting-edge research and for the healthy debates into how to put leadership into practice in the world of research!
We would also like to thank our cooperation partner Corporate Learning Solutions plc. for getting us involved in this project.
Capabilities demonstrated by FLAG in this project:
- Relevant expertise in leadership and team dynamics
- Experience with target group of senior-level experts and researchers
- Intercultural, interactive and modular training concept
- Methods for transferring learning from theoretical foundations into real-life practice